History of NY Division
In 1916, Langford Clinton Whitford founded The L.C. Whitford Company (LCW) in Allegany County to provide residential and commercial construction services to the communities of Western New York. Ninety years and three generations later, this family-operated company remains committed to offering quality construction of buildings, bridges, and highways, while continually expanding and exploring new markets and opportunities.
During L. Clinton's (Ford) time as president, LCW erected many important buildings throughout Western New York, including the Allegany County Courthouse. He eventually moved away from residential construction, but continued to build commercial and institutional buildings. Ford died in 1937, and he passed the thriving company on to his son, L. Rodman "Rod" Whitford.
Under Rod's leadership, LCW continued to expand. Over the next few decades, the firm constructed buildings at the Alfred University Campus, and erected several schools throughout the Southern Tier. Upon Rod's death in 1969, L. Chandler "Chan" Whitford took over the company.
Chan's tenure as president was a time of great changes for the company. In 1972, the company began to shift its primary focus from buildings to bridges, due in part to the high demand for bridges in the aftermath of 1972's Hurricane Agnes. Bridge construction and repair remains the specialty of LCW today, though the company continues to work on highways and buildings. Major building projects from the Chandler Era included a 200,000 square-foot manufacturing facility for Bush Industries in Jamestown, a 95,000 square-foot Tracewell Electronics plant in Cuba, and the Wende Correctional Facility in Alden, NY.
In January 2006, Chan's eldest son, L. Bradley Whitford was made President of the company. Under Brad's leadership, the company's success continues, reaching new customers through expanding into the Pennsylvania market. The company has recently taken on several major projects, constructing a 353-foot bridge in Warren, PA, providing pre-cast components for a 300,000 square-foot pasta-making plant in Avon, NY, and building a parking garage for the Seneca casino in Salamanca, NY. LCW is also is taking the leading role in the Scajaquada rejuvenation project, an 18 million dollar DOT contract which involves the repair of seven bridges in downtown Buffalo. LCW was recently recognized as the third largest construction company in Western New York, with the highest number of employees and the lowest percentage of subcontracted work (about 10%). In 2006, the firm was included in Business First's list of the Top Private Companies in Western New York.
The firm's current office is on North Main Street in Wellsville, NY, across the street from the David A. Howe Public Library. This library, built by LCW in 1935, is considered one of the most beautiful and recognizable architectural landmarks in the Southern Tier, a testament to the quality of work that The L.C. Whitford Company strives to achieve in each of its endeavors.